Saturday, August 4, 2007

Lesson For Today...Love

"In an age where so much of life is based on feelings, it seems that we've begun to lose the true essence of what love means. Once love meant a decision; when you loved someone you loved them forever. Today however, the overwhelming feelings of emotion dictate our decision to "love". But, on the other hand, if the fascinating affection we once felt begins to die we determine that we no longer "love" that person, and then. most sadly, we often give up and walk away. Love has evolved."
-Joel Smallbone

I found this quote and it clarified something for me. I realized that maybe I am not an anomaly. I had started to think I was somehow different because when I love someone, I love them...always, but no one else seemed to feel that way. Relationships are jumped into and out of. No one sticks it out anymore, things get rough, they leave. They hit a bump in the road, they are out. Unfortunately, like that quote says, love has evolved. Sadly it has now evolved to the point where when someone wants to shuck the old life, they murder their spouse, and/or their children. Among other things, these people are too stupid to see that that is not an effective method of change because the change they eventually get is prison or death.

I'm not saying some relationships aren't better off ending, but those aren't based on real love. In those relationships what the parties assumed was love was probably infatuation...which is fleeting; lust...fleeting; emotion...fleeting; the desire or need for love....misguided and desperate; or dysfunction...painful and dangerous.

If people took the time to develop and explore the relationship and a friendship with the other person instead of falling into lust or infatuation...then decide this is a person I love, how much happier would we all be. How much more fulfilled we would all feel and our lives would be so much better. Sex is immediate gratification, making love is a spiritual experience. My father at the end of his life still reached for my mother's hand after 59 years of marriage. He didn't have to look backward and see a string of broken relationships, broken hearts, damaged children. He had his best friend and lover at his side. We all could be so lucky if we slowed down and got to know the person before we make the decision to entrust them with our heart. And once we do, remake that decision every day.

I know this conversation is a little heavy for a Saturday morning, and I'm not trying to sound preachy...but when our moments of clarity come...

No comments: